Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Higher Resolution Resource Maps

Posted by Ido 
Ido
Higher Resolution Resource Maps
December 04, 2012 04:43AM
Hello Miners,

I'm opening up this thread for a couple of reasons i would like you too keep in mind while reading this.

1st : I feel strongly LBML platform has a very large potential in a lot of areas (apart from single user operation as it is set up as now) that it has not yet had much chance to explore, and i would like to take it to the next level. One of these areas is the miner community working together to achieve something amazing.

2nd : I very much respect each and every one of my users, that is why i would like to collect your opinions, concerns and ideas rather than just implementing something and informing you after the fact, especially that this is quite an important change in my eyes.

3rd : I have been working on the software for around 2,5 years now and as much as user gratitude and a couple of donations can be satisfying I feel that if things are to go forward and become even better this might not suffice, and I would like at least a part of the willing community to support my further efforts in one way or another.

Therefore I would like to share with you an idea I had for quite some time and that i feel that now the program is at a point i can consider implementing it. Please share your opinions on this and concerns too so we can discuss it together.

High Resolution Resource Maps:

What is it?
Start out with these: [www.mininglog.com] and imagine each square is color coded by the resource you are looking for and that each color is more intense where the distribution% of that ore is higher, and all of this happening inside LBML on the nice interactive map.

Now picture each square divided into 4 squares..
not good enough? .. 16 squares (4x4)
still to little? ... 64 squares (8x8)
maybe even more who knows ..

What you come up with is very easy to use and precise mining map.

I think most miners would love to have this in their mining log. And I would like to make this happen.
To provide the user with knowledge of where to go, what depth to look at, to find the things they need...

But how will you make this happen?
For that i need all of you, collecting claims sharing data helping to generate this common knowledge for everyone to use. I will aggregate (combine together) the data coming in from all users of the mining log to generate these maps pretty much the same way it is working now with the maps that are available on the website, users will get points for contributing their data and these points can be used to obtain the maps from the system with higher resolution maps worth more points and so on.

Some people say i should instead make a lite version and a premium version of the tool adding on features for a price and limiting the usability of the tool in its basic form, but no that is not my intention. I disagree with that approach because I want everyone to be able to experience the full power of this tool with all of its great features and its amazing potential.

Sounds great but give some more details : )
So for a long time now i have been assigning point values to claim based on their system rarity... its pretty much what you have been seeing on the ranking page but the claims are in a scale of 1 to 1000. Every time a miner logs a claim into the system he is rewarded these points.

For the maps I'm making an assumption they will be worth 1/10th of the points of the claims used to create the map and will be generated as monthly installments and planet specific. So a Next Island map might be worth significantly less than the map of Calypso. This also means that for a single claim logged you can get data in return of 10 of such claims on a map. Also top ranked miners (high capacity miners) can get a map every month for purely the points that they get for submitting their claims (since the maps are mostly based on their data) and other less active users might get a map every few months etc.

What if I have too many points?
What spending more points can get you is a more precise map, added depth ranges, splitting month data into weeks or days to see ore vein movement if any etc.

I think depth ranges can be especially interesting so that you can select ranges that match your current finder to know exactly what to expect from a given mining area.

What if I have too few points?
Well then you are not mining enough! But seriously this is where i feel my programming efforts can be rewarded. For users who want everything but don't contribute enough points I will reward donations with points. I actually do already you can check it out in the donate page.

What if i don't want to support you like this and prefer to keep my claims private?
Well of course there will be people who want to keep their claims secret i understand that, and yes there will be an option to opt out from sharing your claims, i call it the "ghost" mode and it will let you keep your claims private. However i feel if anyone can simply turn on ghost mode most people will and there will be zero useful maps due to lack of data. So i feel this should be a feature a user can get by exchanging their miner points to enable, and if they don't have any they can always donate the get some more points, thus instead of rewarding my efforts with their claim data they can reward them with a donation.

I have been a LBML user for a long time now what about all my data?
If I do implement this feature my idea is to give you a choice of either making your claims private/protected/ghosted whatever you call it so that they are safe and only yours forever, or you can choose an option to receive miner points for all the data you have collected and will effectivly share.

So all of you miners, sharing your data will eventually lead to me being rewarded for the work i did on the program by people who donate in order to obtain more points for maps or ghosting. This way we also can keep the tool totally free with all its features enabled forever. I hope this sounds reasonable and you like the idea. Please post positives/negatives I would like to hear each and everyone's opinions on this.

Best Regards
Ido Sunrider
Re: Higher Resolution Resource Maps
December 04, 2012 05:17AM
Very nice features. I agree completely with all this.
December 04, 2012 06:20PM
In this shape you described it here I agree with you smiling smiley Great idea!
January 20, 2013 06:43PM
Hi,

i too fully agree with what you said in your message.

In fact when i first gave a look at LBML it's the way i thought it worked then smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 06:43PM by Sven Melbus Christensen.
January 29, 2013 01:56AM
Thank you for all the features, really look forward to this!
February 05, 2013 12:58PM
This sounds like a super idea, it will help me out a lot to be able to get an estimate of where i should mine... what exactly happens to our data when we share it? i cant seem to find any details about it on this site... btw love the LBML, its served me very well!
Ido
February 05, 2013 06:20PM
Velesta Vel Alamore
This sounds like a super idea, it will help me out a lot to be able to get an estimate of where i should mine... what exactly happens to our data when we share it? i cant seem to find any details about it on this site... btw love the LBML, its served me very well!

Currently when you share your data it will be aggregated and used to generate the depth table on the main page and the maps.

I see only positive feedback on my idea so far and it makes me quite happy ; ) I have a lot of great ideas what I could bring to LBML to make it even better and thanks to this a lot of things will be made possible.

Ido

February 06, 2013 12:47PM
I love the idea and look forward to it's implementation.
February 08, 2013 12:10AM
1. Desribed probability maps - awesome idea. Previously allowed to post depths from LBML, now setted to post coordinates too.
2. Many maps are needing the update. RT, Arkadia... displaced lakes, islands, shores... The idea is to have not only those "sattelite" maps, but also simplier "topographic" maps, where users could put in info about actual shorelines, cliffs, mob areas, etc
April 24, 2013 12:41AM
it'll be a hard work gook luck to do it ^^
April 29, 2013 11:05AM
This is a great Idea and i will Support it! But i also DO hope you fix the Problems with the Map (mentioned in the other Thread in here) soon, cause it poses a not critical but annoying Problem with all these 8xx. Will also donate a bit later on. Hope i can help.

Jag
Ido
April 29, 2013 03:09PM
René Jaguras Tintifax
This is a great Idea and i will Support it! But i also DO hope you fix the Problems with the Map (mentioned in the other Thread in here) soon, cause it poses a not critical but annoying Problem with all these 8xx. Will also donate a bit later on. Hope i can help.

Jag

Thank you for your generous donation,

Its great and it indeed brings up my motivation ! I will do my best to fix the issues annoying you ASAP and also while doing that lay the foundation for the idea presented in this thread

Ido

April 30, 2013 11:22PM
Ido
René Jaguras Tintifax

Jag

Thank you for your generous donation,

Its great and it indeed brings up my motivation ! I will do my best to fix the issues annoying you ASAP and also while doing that lay the foundation for the idea presented in this thread

Ido

Cool, thank you! Other than that the Tool works GREAT and really helps a LOT! Keep up the good Work, Mate! :-)

Jag
May 08, 2013 09:31AM
My problem is that the map shown with perodic table doesn't match up to what Entropia's Caly map shows.

I can't tell what is and what isn't.

How about making the map looks more like this?

[fallout.wikia.com]

Instead of A1 or B2, it is the X and Y Longitude and Latitude.

Cartography skill is needed in making a better map.
May 12, 2013 10:19PM
Hey ..

first : WOW mega thanks for your nice soft .. MEGA..

if you need help for MAP design pls feel free to PM ..

here a first idea on what we (Neil, Amber, donte) are working on;
ARK map..

wish you a nice lootius day smilyy

Donte
[ge.tt]

some div. lines will be adj in the next few days..
all sugg. are welcome to improve the map

(at moment we are working on a MOB area map)

update of the ARK map ..03/06/2013

under construction

update of the ARK map ..18/06/2013

under construction

New Caly map 29/07/2013
under construction

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 10:40PM by Teora Donte Schaub.
July 14, 2013 08:16AM
I like the idea and would love to help further support develoment.

Ive always been for sharing all data and you can count on me to continue to send all the data I can! Additionally Ill be sending in a donation very soon.

While I thinks its a good idea for you to start getting money to further develop I dont like the idea of a premium version as Im thinking it may lead to either less people using it or less data coming in.

The point idea is good just as long as it doesnt get out of hand like entropia tracker.
February 22, 2014 01:53AM
I like this idea and would support it. It would be nice to get a general view of where the ores are happening at to assist us in mining them. Thing is, so now 50 people know that the vein is in this place. Doesn't that quickly drain it? Would this turn into a rat race to see who gets to the next hot spot first? Maybe add some delay so that my stats are not real timed to everyone. Id hate to be having a good run and someone see that and jump my claim and get ahead of me and start dropping probes along my path to hopefully hit the honey hole. Or perhaps I am not understanding correctly how this would all work?

sluggo
Ido
February 22, 2014 04:48AM
Actually i see it more as a monthly installment of aggregated data .. just with higher precision than the ones currently available on the site.

Ido

January 17, 2015 11:34PM
I've been doing something very similar with my own data, but it's extremely bulky and time consuming. I'd definitely be putting up my miner points for something like this though since all the heavy work would be done already. Now that we're turning in claims for points, any idea on how soon we might expect this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 07:49AM by Tony Kingofaces Hans.
Ido
January 18, 2015 03:40AM
I was hoping for February but 2015 is proving to be quite busy... In Q1 for sure I want to get it out asap but my job comes first before LBML

January 14, 2017 01:06PM
Is this supposed to be available? I download the software and looked in the store but no option to buy detailed maps...
Ido
January 15, 2017 08:21AM
ohh my has it been 2 years already .. I see im procrastinating terribly i should better get to it and get it done winking smiley lets see how it goes

March 21, 2017 11:28PM
Are you still planning on doing probabilities for regions within each server (similar to your current server maps)?

Another idea that I've been working on with my LBML data is to map average markup instead. If you're doing monthly aggregations, it wouldn't be hard summarize average markup even if you had to enter the markups by hand once a month like I do for my maps. Feel free to PM if you want to see how those kinds of maps look (you already have all my claim data anyways) or how they get set up.
Ido
March 21, 2017 11:33PM
yes and yes grinning smiley

I'm working on the maps slowly moving forward ; )