Welcome! Log In

Advanced

Avast is flagging .exe files as pottential threats

Posted by Ido 
Ido
Avast is flagging .exe files as pottential threats
February 07, 2013 12:21AM
Hi everyone,

Today after Avast's update to virus definitions version 130206-0 it started flagging our executables as Suspicious

They named it Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Not sure how i should go about it i sent information to avast about a false positive.
I'll investigate it further. It might be due to the protection mechanisms i'm using.

Best Regards
Ido Sunrider

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 12:21AM by Ido.
Re: Avast is flagging .exe files as pottential threats
February 07, 2013 02:20AM
From one of the Avast Forums

from the Avast Forum: (good tip UNINSTALL AVAST before you screw you OS, if damage done start in safe mode and remove AVAST until they get a fix out.

Dear Avast programmers,

I hope by now you have realized that your latest Database-Update caused countless false Alarms. I know it sounds like it’s no problem, because hopefully every user may soon realize that his entire computer is not a giant virus…

However I would like to point out a serious flaw in your Antivirus-Program:
Since it now detects a lot of programs as a virus/trojan it also begins to detect vital programs that an operating system depends on as a virus. After that of course it begins to block the detected program and denies access until the problem is resolved. This however results in a total breakdown of the operation system. I just experienced it myself and the

only solution to use the operating system is to restart in the “SAFE MODE” by pressing F8 before Windows starts and delete Avast in the Safe Mode for the time being...

I hope you realize what damage your Software can cause by a mistake by this magnitude…
Ido
February 07, 2013 02:52AM
So i have confirmed that the tools i used to protect the exe files are causing this issue... but it also seems Avast has become too sensitive and is flagging a lot of false positives ( see reply above )

I will try to figure out a better way to protect the tool from reverse engineering and data falsification.. it might take a while tho..

In the meantime you can configure avast not to flag files from the LBML folder.

Best Regards
Ido Sunrider

February 19, 2013 10:18PM
Avast says about .exe files that they are FileRepMalware and trying to change explorer.exe.
Ido
February 19, 2013 10:42PM
Yes i get that too .. a quick search on Google tells me its giving this false positive for other things too for example League of Legends launcher ..

I don't know how to react to this .. but try to change my security scheme.

Ido

March 08, 2013 10:05AM
I got this too... the scan on the folder shows no threat until you try to launch...
Ido
March 20, 2014 10:43PM
Anyone still getting this issue ?

March 23, 2014 03:46AM
I don't use avast for this reason.

I would not change your security settings and potentially compromise your program because of their ineptitudes.

It just floors me every time a major company lets something like this out and it causes this much havoc with the computer world. Hello??? Don't you beta test your stuff?? Did you take lessons from EU on good programming practices?? grinning smiley

sluggo
October 06, 2014 02:31AM
Damn, I just got for the first time Win32:Evo-gen [susp] from the .exe LBML dont works anymore for me sad smiley

I tried to redownload and Avast prevent me to download
Ido
October 06, 2014 03:15AM
you can add LBML folder to exlusion list from avast .. i dont think any other antivir complains about LBML .. avast is known recently to report too many false positives.